VE exams for all license levels are offered the second Saturday of each month (usually right after our meeting) at 1100 (11 A.M.) at the Mason County Department of Emergency Management (DEM) at 100 W Public Works Drive, Shelton, WA 98584. Click on the link or come to the meeting for directions. For testing you will need the original and a copy of your present license (if you have your ticket already), some form of ID with YOUR picture on it, and $15.
MCARC meets on the second Saturday of each month, so if you are interested in taking the exam for an amateur radio license, testing starts at 10:00 am and costs only $15. Several club members also serve as volunteer examiners, so you’ll also get a chance to meet some of our local ham radio operators!
- Bring your $15 examination fee, and if you are upgrading your license, bring your original FCC license and a photocopy of your license!
- For those taking the Technician exam, you will need to apply for a Federal Registration Number (FRN). Go to the FCC.gov website and click on CORES to register for your FRN. For your convenience, here is the direct link to CORES: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
Update on fees: The FCC is changing their fee structure. When they start charging the new fees, they will be as follows:
- To take a Technician License exam, the exam fee will be $15.00 and additional fee of thirty-five ($35.00) will be charged.
- If the candidate goes from Technician to General, then the exam fee will be $15.00 and the additional fee of $35.00 will also be charged
- If the candidate goes from General to Extra Class, then the exam fee will be $15.00 and the $35.00 will also be applied.
- To renew your license there will be a $35.00 fee for a ten-year license.
- If a Licensee wants to change their call sign, then the $35.00 will be applied.
- If you are changing your name (i.e. becoming married or divorced), then there will be no additional fee or charge applied.
If you have questions about testing, please contact David Brooks N7HT by email or telephone (253-363-1692).
For a list of other testing locations and times, visit the ARRL’s exam search page.
Each applicant should bring with them either a BLACK or BLUE ink pen, one or two pencils w/eraser, picture ID, calculator (if desired).
Those applicants that have past an element but have not received their license for the upgrade must bring a copy of the CSCE and the original, a copy of license and the original.
The cost of the exam is $15.00 and we accept cash, check, or money order.
The contact person is David B. Brooks N7HT.
Thanks and 73,
Dave Brooks N7HT
- Page updated 7/10/2021 by KJ7T.